More Horses!

I’m a bit late posting about it this week, but I was back with the horses on Monday, and have another load of life drawings.

I didn’t get as much done as normal, as I was pretty tired, and was enjoying catching up with friends. And of course having cuddles with the ponies. Ghost and another pony both tried to eat my sketchbook, and also got snot on it (I bet my tutor will love that!), and Ghost nearly ate my pen which would not have been good! When they realised that my sketchbook wasn’t a tasty snack, the white pony proceeded to chew my hair, whilst Ghost just turned around and ignored me. He’s such a monkey.


Busy, Busy, Busy!

Well I’ve had a rather busy week!

With the deadline for my current uni project coming up, I’ve been embroidering like a mad thing and my fingers are now very raw.

On wednesday, I was also with the equestrian club helping out at one of their competitions (the team placed 2nd), which was a 5am start, so I’m still recovering from that. That was all with a bad leg, after I hurt my knee and foot doing rising trot on monday. I think that was just pulled muscles, they’re not really hurting so much now . Who knows, I’m hypermobile and my joints are always doing interesting things.

My embroidery stuff I’m really enjoying, but the actual theme of that project I’m still not feeling. I’m struggling to connect with it a bit I guess. Hopefully I can produce something good, because this stuff is being displayed in an exhibition at the art school!

My project explores how JP Duguid’s discovery of how penicillin works effected the overall story of penicillin, but I feel like it didn’t have a massive impact, and my tutor is wanting me to show his impact, rather than just make pretty embroideries of microscope slides. So I’ve looked at how the form of lysis  penicillin uses effects the peptidoglycan in the cell walls of bacteria. I’ve also explored the history leading up to his discovery- Fleming’s discovery in 1928, failed attempts to use penicillin, and also anthrax because that appears to be how JPD figured it out. I’m not 100% on that, but in the folder of info I had there was a diagram that he’d made showing penicillin lysing anthrax.

The anthrax stuff has been quite a heavy inspiration. The bacteria itself looks like wool, and it was originally referred to as woolsorter’s disease, due to it mainly being contracted by people working with animals. I did originally play with weaving and lucet, but I eventually settled on embroidery, as I like the juxtaposition of the pretty, crafty look with the deadly diseases stuff.

Nothing like making lethal stuff pretty, right?


Embroidery of the lysing of anthrax
Embroidery of the lysing of anthrax

First Week Back/Anthrax

So my first week back at university has been blissfully uneventful. Although I am slightly concerned that the CIA might decide I’m a person of interest as my current project at uni requires some heavy research of anthrax…

I’ve been attempting to grow bacteria (just stuff off skin and kitchen surfaces- no anthrax!) as well in some petri dishes, and one of them is finally showing a little growth!

I’m thinking I’m going to do something with wool for this project though. We have another month or so for it, and the way anthrax looks under the microscope reminds me of wool, so I reckon that’s my way forward. Whether it’s something woven or done with lucet I’ve no idea yet. I’m just going to enjoy this and see where it takes me.